Part 17 of Food in Literature, brings extracts from The Golden Child by Penelope FitzGerald and Felicia's Journey by William Trevor. What do they have in common?
The answer is that both use food as a way to establish character.
Read on here.
• Food in Literature: Part 1 The Avignon Quintet, Moby Dick, Sister Age• Food in Literature: Part 2 William Carries On, Poems: This is just to say, The Avignon Quintet• Food in Literature: Part 3 The Leopard, The Bell Jar, A Room of One's Own, Madame Bovary• Food in Literature: Part 4 Cooking with Fernet Branca, The Sea, The Sea• Food in Literature: Part 5 Time Regained, "Oysters" by Seamus Heaney• Food in Literature: Part 6 American Pastoral• Food in Literature: Part 7 A Passage to India, London Fields• Food in Literature: Part 8 Alice in Wonderland, Pentimento, The Joy of Cooking, Kitchen Essays• Food in Literature: Part 9 The Gate of Angels, The Cut Glass Bowl• Food in Literature: Part 10 The Magic Mountain, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant• Food in Literature: Part 11 Martin Chuzzlewit• Food in Literature: Part 12 Expiation, The Last Chronicle of Barset,` As They Were, Martin Chuzzlewit• Food in Literature: Part 13 Shuggie Bain• Food in Literature: Part 14 The Cold Table, The Raj Quartet, Kitchen Essays, With Bold Knife and Fork, Unnatural Death, The Importance of Being Earnest• Food in Literature: Part 15 Lessons in Chemistry, The Debt to Pleasure• Food in Literature: Part 16 Cousin Kate, Utz• Food in Literature: Part 17 The Golden Child, Felicia's Journey• Cheese in Literature The Debt to Pleasure, Sonnet to a Stilton Cheese Treasure Island
• The Food of Love Barbara Cartland Queen Elizabeth I
• In the bleak midwinter 1 The Pickwick Papers December with the Ladies of Llangollen Christmas with the Savages Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm• In the bleak midwinter 2 Wind in the Willows, The Balkan Trilogy A Child's Christmas in Wales
• Lockdown with Helen Garlick• From the Back of the Shelf
• A Year in Chicken Soup• A Landlady's Diary
• A Cheesemonger's history of the British Isles• An Indian Table • Beyond Bratwurst• Bitter Honey• Countryman's Cooking• "Done, Finished, You Lose It" • Dumas on Food • Edward Trencome's Nose • European Peasant Cookery• Honey from a Weed • Hungry: A Memoir of Wanting More • Kafka's Soup • Kitchen Essays• La Vita è Dolce• Life is Meals• Med: A Cookbook• Mrs Cromwell's Cookbook• My American Kitchen Notes• My Place at the Table• One More Croissant for the Road• Orchards in the Oasis• Relish: My Life on a Plate• Scotland to Shalimar• Squirrel Pie and Other Stories • Summer in the Islands• Summer Kitchens • Table Talk• The Game Cook• The Perfect Egg • The Recipe: the dish that saved my bacon • The Table Comes First
• Adam Gopnik• Elisabeth Luard• Josceline Dimbleby• Matthew Fort• Norman Tebbit